Equestrian Discussions: New Year's Resolutions

Finally getting to this!

The first discussion question I asked was what New Year's Resolution(s) you've made for yourself and your horse.

I got some cool responses on this post.  Thanks for participating, guys!  (If you missed out, don't be afraid to still go and share your resolutions there!)

For Orion and I, I'm sure I'll come up with lots more in the next few months, but for now, here they are:

  • I want to get him completely bomb-proof.
  • Secondary to that goal, is to take him in one of the Forest Festival parades in October if he's ready.
  • Work on "emergency dismounts".
  • More solo rides.
  • (For me) be able to run...in an English saddle. (I've never purposely been on a running horse before.)
  • Try to get Orion in better shape (as well as myself!).  He gets winded and acts like he's gonna die from trotting around the paddock for five minutes.
And alas, I'm sure I missed some.  I'll probably address more in future posts.  For myself, as far as horse-related resolutions go, I just want to be a better rider, both for Orion and my own safety.  I also want to get in better shape - so I can feel better about myself and be healthier, and so that Orion doesn't have to haul my big butt around anymore. -_-

For Thursday, January 17th: "What's your favorite thing you've taught your horse to do?"


Comments

  1. No crazy trick training, but I'm happy both of my horses respect my space no matter what - the training I put into them to get them there has benefited every other endeavor in some way. In the midst of freaking out last night Q still did all she could to stay out of my space while she was having a spazz-attack. Additionally, I like that both of my horses stand rock solid *almost* every time I mount. This is crucial to me and well worth the time it took to re-teach Q. Tricks would be fun to teach, but currently I'm happy with practical training tools that benefit our partnership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! That's another thing I should have put on the list. Teach him to respect my space. It's something I've been thinking about ever since you pointed out that he doesn't the other day! It's awesome that Q still thought of that in the midst of a freak out session...good job!

      Delete
  2. Can we pick more than one? I have taught Shy a few tricks. . .smile, wave, kiss, honk a horn. We re working on bow.
    But maybe my favorite for today is horse sledding! I didn't really think she would be able to do it this winter, but we have been spending a lot of time teaching line driving and pulling things that she finally got comfortable enough to do it. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely pick more than one. You've obviously got a bag of tricks up your sleeve to pick from! :P I'm always impressed by all the things Shy knows how to do when I read your blog. She's so intelligent and obviously has a great teacher!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your goals. I've taught my horse a lot of tricks but our favourite one is giving kisses. My horse will give kisses on command.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love hearing your feedback!