Thought Vomit

Wow, what a weekend it has been!  

Friday night I had an alumni event to play for with flute choir.  It was fun - especially since when we weren't playing, four of us were enjoying great food (why can't our cafeteria cook like that for us at school?  If they can do it for others, surely they could do more here. Blah!) and checking out "hot" guys.  Ha - one of my friends (I won't mention names for her sake) was obsessed with a particular guy allllll evening - and before you think it - no, the alumni were not all old people. lol  Overall, it was just a fun, laughing at each other and being silly kind of atmosphere.  We went up to the balcony (this took place at Adaland Mansion) and sat, and that's where most of the sillyness took place, where people could not see us and think how immature we were. It was mostly just laughing and saying stupid stuff.  After the week I have had, I needed some time to let go and just be silly with friends, you know? It was nice.  I feel like the five of us are becoming closer each time we go out together, and I love that.  It's almost like when my section in high school band started getting more comfortable around each other and became more like sisters or family than just a flute section.  I miss that, and I'm glad it seems like I'm getting a little bit of that back.

That being said, the same thing has been happening with my suite.  This week we've all spent more time out in the common room together in the evenings instead of being locked behind closed doors in our bedrooms.  Claire, Sara, Francesca and I especially.  Kristen has been out more too, and Jessie, when she's here.  Everyone in my suite is always super busy (4 out of the 6 of us are music majors - Jessie and I are the only ones who aren't: Jessie is education and I am biology).  It's nice to come back from work or lab in the evening though and find everyone just chilling out in the common room, talking and relaxing.  That room is starting to feel more like a living area than just a room to walk through to get to my bedroom now.  I love it.

It was also super fun yesterday (even though a bit nerve-wracking and stressful).  I worked from 10:30-2:45, walked back to campus, arrived at my dorm room at 3, started to get ready, received a text from Natalie (pretty much the head flutist) saying I needed to be at the chapel ASAP, and realized I had mixed up the times in my head.  I thought I had to be there at 3:30.  I was supposed to be there at 3.  Seriously???  So I touched up my makeup really fast, left my hair in a ponytail from work, changed clothes, grabbed my flute and sheet music, and booked it across campus to the chapel - in high heels that I haven't worn for about six months.  I ended up only being about 15 minutes late, and the concert didn't start for a while, so I was good.  My feet felt like they were going to fall off by the end of the concert though.  I swear, I am not made to wear heels.  I thought I was going to break my ankle with every other step that I took!  Our flute choir performance went pretty well though, and that was all that really mattered to me.

I went back for the evening concert to see the jazz band, Men's and Women's Quartets, and the West Virginians perform.  For anyone who hasn't seen the West Virginians, you are missing out.  They travel and perform, and they are amazing.

The quality to this video sucks and the angle sucks too, but they were still amazing.  Francesca is the blond in the gray and black shirt.  She did awesome as well.  And she's only a freshmen.  Go Fresca! :)

Then yesterday, we had a surprise visit from an old friend.  Joe Harris came in for homecoming this weekend and stopped by my suite to say hi to Sara. I happened to be sitting out in the common room looking up music on my computer and heard a knock, then he walked in, we recognized each other, said hello and started talking.  Then he knocked on Sara's door and she tackled him with a hug.  He stayed until almost 3 a.m., with he, Sara, Sara's boyfriend, Eric, and I sitting out in the common area talking and joking around like old times.  We had a visit from my old roommate Jess and her boyfriend for a little while, which really made it feel like old times during freshmen year.  It was a wonderful surprise. :)

Oh, and by the way, since he graduated from A-B, Joe has written a book!  I have not read it yet, but I just downloaded it to my Kindle.  It's also available from Barnes and Noble.


Check it out and tell me what you think! :)

Hopefully mine will someday be finished and I'll be able to follow in his footsteps with publishing.  I'm thinking now that it may be next summer unless I can pull off a miracle over Christmas break.  I have soo much left to do with Summer of Horses that it's ridiculous.  I'm not at all happy with how the last half that I haven't yet revised looks.  I feel like it's probably going to take even more work than the first half did.  Grr.

At this point I'm soo tempted to just start working on Senior Year, which is the sequel to Summer.  Yes, there is a sequel.  And I like it sooo much better.  But that's just me.  I was more grown up when I started Senior Year, and I think that's why it appeals to me more.  Hopefully by the time I'm finished with Summer I will feel differently about it.  Don't get me wrong; I love my first book.  I was just in a better place and knew more about myself and the world around me when I wrote Senior Year.  I wasn't as naive, and it shows.  

Anyway, I'll stop that topic there because I don't want to give away too much.  The first one isn't even finished yet! lol

I'm in the library until 5:00.  And I already have all my homework done. *sigh*  I think I'll print my notes off and study.  At least then, I'll still be doing something constructive.  I might even work on Summer a little more since I'm in a constructive kind of environment.  I still have two and a half hours to go, so who knows?

After I'm done here, Claire and I might go to Elkins to see Orion.  Depends on her getting her homework done, so we'll see.  I might ride him today if we do. :D  So excited!

Comments

  1. I hope you get to ride him!!! I"m hoping to get to elkins soonish and see my two boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! :) And how are things with the Kolijah situation? Is he going to be living elsewhere for the winter or staying at Linda's?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love hearing your feedback!