Lavender Oil

Hello all!

I decided to try something new for Mondays. From now on (hopefully - time allowing) I'll be posting about an essential oil.  You know, that stuff used for aromatherapy or massage?

I've talked about it on here before, and most of you probably already know that I've been using it with Orion.

So, I thought I'd try to post a little something every Monday so that you can learn about them along with me.

A lot of the information that I have is from this book:



Check it out if you're interested in this stuff. It's worth the money.


  Today's oil is lavender.

Lavender can be used for almost anything.  Seriously.  If you look up the uses for it, the list is ridiculously long.


Some of the uses listed in Essential Oils for Horses are these:


- Wound management
-General soothing and healing
- Natural fly repellent
- Antiseptic (which is why it's good for managing wounds)
- Pain relief
- Sedative
- Antispasmodic
- Bactericide
- Decongestant
- Cell renewal
- Antidepressant
- Can help sinusitis, asthma, and bronchial problems
- Prevention of infections of the respiratory tract


It can also be added to preparations for the following:
- combating ticks and parasites
- lice
- ringworm
-spots
- bites
- abscesses
- most dermatological problems
- inflammatory situations regarding skin and muscles
- stomach conditions
- general liver health
- anti-toxic oil




I've been using it for myself lately also.  I've often heard that it is calming and relaxing, and when I ordered my own bottle to use with Orion, it came with a small pamphlet titled "45 Ways to Use Essential Oils."


One of the things it suggested was to put a couple drops of the oil on a tissue or cotton ball and place it under your pillow.  (It actually said to add a drop of lavender and a drop of chamomile oil, but since I didn't have chamomile, I just did 2 drops of lavender.)  It's supposed to help you sleep.  I've been doing this for the last week or so, and I've really noticed a difference.  I sleep much better now, and when the oil's scent starts to wear off after two or three nights, I've noticed that I start to become more restless at night.  When I add a little more the next night, I'm fine, back to sleeping well again.


Also if you go to the Edens Garden website (this is the company I've been getting my oils from), you'll find a page titled "40 Ways to Use".  It has pretty much the same things that are in my pamphlet, so you can see them there. :)


Also, you can buy any of the oils from this company in my store and not even have to leave this blog. :)


Let me know what you think of these oils and if you like the idea of a weekly oil post!

Comments