Can't Wait For Fall! - Writing Challenge, Day 1

I can't help it.  I love summer, but I think as I get older, fall is becoming one of my favorite seasons.

Football games, the Jubilee, county fairs, the Mountain State Forest Festival, my birthday (as well as both my brothers' and my mom's birthdays)....  I used to take all that stuff for granted, but I've really felt more connected to it all in recent years, and this year, I'm pretty giddy leading up to it.

I can't wait to watch the trees change (I love the different colors in fall, hate the ugly bare trees after they actually drop the leaves!).  I can't wait to walk down the street to watch high school football games (our house is perfectly positioned to be far enough away from all the parking traffic but close enough to walk there). 

I can't wait to go back to the Jackson's Mill Jubilee in Weston on Labor Day weekend.  Last year was the first time they'd had it in a few years, and Darryl and I went and met up with my grandpa and uncle there and took it all in.  It was a little like re-living my childhood when I would go every year with Grandma, Grandpa, Dad, and my uncle.  I can't wait to go back and see how much more they'll have grown it this year.  It's full of cool stuff, and hopefully the word will be out and even more artisans will be there than last year. 

We always go to the Barbour County Fair at least one evening.  Demolition Derby night is what Darryl is excited for this year.  We might take in some of the Randolph County Fair this year too; I've only ever been to it one time for the rodeo, so I'm looking into what else might be fun to go to.  Let me know if you have any suggestions!

The Mountain State Forest Festival happens right in our downtown.  Literally, all around where we work.  It's hell trying to park in your normal parking or get to your usual stops throughout the week on a lot of days.  A lot of weird people come out of the woodwork, as with any festival I think.  But that aside, it's a fun time, brings tons of people into the town (always good for that part of town), and it only happens one week a year.  I think every year since I've worked at the agency I'm at, we've been given Forest Festival Friday off.  It's not a guaranteed day off, but there's literally just too much going on around us (picture kiddie rides set up in the street directly in front of us and school is out that Friday...), so our boss shows some mercy and allows us time to enjoy the festivities....or get out of town, as some don't want to be around for the biggest weekend of the festival! 

I've been getting into the habit since I moved back home to go to the Queen's Coronation on Friday, go to the Fireman's Parade that night, the Grand Feature Parade on Saturday, try to at least catch part of the marching band competition Saturday evening, and take in some of the exhibits and other festivities. 

Darryl likes to walk around the carnival one night to see what all is there and to get a basket of fresh cut fries.  And there are certain food vendors I try to take in each year - such as Backporch BBQ and Gil's Pit Beef, two of my favorites.  Pretty sure I had something from each of them twice last year, but I have to limit myself since festival food is so dang expensive.  Last year I got a bunch of food ready at the house and had it warming in crockpots before we went to the Grand Feature Parade, and a few family members met us back at home to hang out for a while and cool off and have some food afterward.  I'll probably do that again this year and try to let the other people invited know a little more ahead of time so we can potentially have a few more over.  It had the potential to be really fun, but we had so much food left over!

I'm also looking forward to the weather just cooling off in general.  I don't like cold cold weather, but I just don't deal well at all with hot weather.  I like a happy medium.  The closest I get without it being rainy all season (I'm looking at you, spring) is fall, so that's something to look forward to!

What things do you look forward to for the remainder of the year?


Comments