Not so wordless Wednesday - Really A-B?

This all seems so sad...







The story behind this is that the catwalks (see walkways in picture below) have been deemed unsafe by a group of engineers that came in to inspect my dorm a couple weeks ago. 


This means that the second and third floors (which consist of 84 girls) all have to move to a different dorm building.  It's the one known as the worse of the three dorms on campus. It is capable of holding 150 people, and right now there only 50 living in it.  It will be close to max by the time everyone who was assigned to it moves in.

The kicker?  We were told on Monday that we were to have a mandatory attendance emergency meeting on Tuesday night at 7.  They then informed us of the specifics of this - or as close to them as we could get.  Some of the explanations seemed shoddy at best - like why this wasn't taken care of sooner. "We didn't know the problem was as bad as it was."  Well, I'm sorry, but this crack (which is the one that tipped them off last summer that there was more of a problem than they thought in that area - see picture below) has been there the entire three years that I have lived in this building.  This year, it has gradually been getting worse, and you can see where one side (scarily, it's the side that the edge is on) is sinking.



The crack in the next picture is directly below the one in the above picture.


The support beam in the next picture is what was introduced to fix the problem last summer.  By the way, the room you see here is the one I lived in last year.  The room I live in now is directly above it - right beside the first huge crack.


These are the stairs that lead up to my floor.  The slightly open door at the top is mine, and the first crack I showed you is located between the top of the stairs and my door.  And by the way, my camera is not tilted.  These steps actually tilt to the right - more than slightly.  It may be hard to see in the picture, but it is blatantly obviously when you are standing in front of or on them.


Another shot of the same stairs, looking down.


I'm beyond disgusted with this.  These stairs have been tilted the whole time I've gone here; the cracks have been there too.  I'm glad they're finally doing something about it, but it should not have taken this long.

What I really don't understand, is why they didn't check the rest of the walkways last summer when they found the first trouble area and realized there was more to it than they had been able to see....it's all part of the same walkway and exposed to the same elements and stresses - it seems to me that it would have occurred to them that there may be other areas with damage that they couldn't see also.  But no, instead they didn't do anything other than what they had to at the time, and now we're dealing with this in the middle of the semester.

I know I'm not the only one in this situation, and I have a ton of stuff to get finished this week.  I feel bad for the people that have even more stuff than I do.

Oh by the way, did I mention we're all supposed to be moving on Friday, and it's all supposed to be done by 5:00 pm?  Some people are allowed to stay until Saturday if they have special circumstances and get permission, but the vast majority are scheduled for various times throughout the day on Friday to move over to the other dorm.  And we're supposed to only let this "minimally" interfere with our classes.

I'm one of the lucky ones that has a friend in Kincaid (the better of the three) who is willing to let me room with her for the rest of the semester.  However, that still involves packing, moving, and unpacking, all while trying to get my schoolwork done and staying focused.

Speaking of, oh, look what time it is!  I have organic chemistry class in ten minutes.. Joy. Not.  


Comments

  1. That sucks so much! I'm sorry. :( Didn't they do something to where you had to change majors because they dropped the program you were doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep Carly, that was 2 years ago, about 2 weeks into my freshmen year. That's why I'm a bio major now instead of in the Physician Assistant program (the one they lost accreditation for and now have back, but I don't want to to do it anymore).

    I guess I probably should mention that they are giving all of us a $500 inconvenience scholarship next year and reimbursing us for the demotion in dorms (Benedum costs less than Priestley) and also for if we got put into a double instead of single (which would have been me too). Since I'm rooming with Jess instead of the room and roommate they assigned to me though, my reimbursements (if I get any -Kincaid is more expensive than Priestley, but I'll be in a double instead of a single, so we'll see) will be different.

    The seniors are who really got screwed in the financial department though. Since they won't be here next year unless they're a 5-year-senior, they won't be getting that $500 scholarship, and the only thing offered to them was a $100 reimbursement if they apply for it by March 31st. No one at the meeting thought that was fair, since the other students get %500. The people who were taking questions said that they would take a larger amount (obviously $500 was suggested by the seniors) into consideration.

    Basically, it's just one freakin' huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, the %500 was supposed to say $500. My brain is so fried from everything at this point...oh and by the way, I'm sick right now too. Makes this all so much more fun. Sorry for the negativity...it's just been one heck of a week so far..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love hearing your feedback!