TV Shows That You Really Should Watch, Part 1

How many of you have a TV show (or two, or three...) that you dedicate yourself to watching every week?  Or, as is common in a lot of people's busy lives (*I jump up and down, raising my hand, yelling "Me, me, me!"*), that you get behind and then binge watch?

I'm going to do a small, multi-post series detailing some of my favorite shows right now (some are currently going on, and some are ones that I'm bingeing on on Netflix when I have the time).

First up:

Grey's Anatomy
This show...is probably one of the longest running shows I've ever watched from the very beginning when it actually started.  It has breached so many topics and sent all of it's characters through the ringer with various catastrophes and personal dramas and illnesses and deaths and whatnot...you say it, and it's probably happened on this show.  But the thing is, they do all of it in a way that blows you away every time.  I won't spoil it for anyone else who hasn't watched it, but right now, the entire show is being reworked.  It's not a love story anymore.  In a way, it never really was.  It's always had love stories within it, but the real backbone of the show is Meredith and her struggle with how she grew up, the challenges she faces, and how she deals with all of it and survives. (This is coming from an insightful conversation I had with my roommate last week when I was vehemently vowing that I was seriously almost done with the show because it pissed me off.)  Now it's going to be building itself around the idea of resilience and survival and focusing less on the lovey doviness that we've grown accustomed to (I'm not saying it was a bad thing.  I love MerDer and Calzona and April/Jackson and all of the others that are there, both past and present.).  It will be an interesting new turn for sure.




The Vampire Diaries
This is a show that I didn't get into until it was in the second or third season, but I grew to love it.  Vampires, werewolves, and witches and all of the crazy crap they get themselves into.  Some vampire romance thrown in there too.  This one is definitely based around a love story (love triangle).  I ship Damon and Elena without hesitation.  No idea what the end of the current season will bring for that, but we shall see.  This trailer was for the first season (we're now in season 6), so it looks somewhat dated, but it's good and is where anyone just starting the series will be at, so I leave it here.


The Originals
Ah, The Originals - a spinoff from The Vampire Diaries, because the original vampire family just grew too big for TVD and needed their own show.  And I do not say that sarcastically - I am completely serious.  This one is not all drawn around a love story, unlike its parent show.  Once again, there are love stories within, but they are far from the focus.  This is built around war.  The Mikaelsons (namely Klaus) are back in New Orleans, where they reigned over the French Quarter and all of its vampire and witch inhabitants 100 years before.  In their absence, Klaus's protegee, Marcel, has taken over is not quite ready to let go of the reins.  We get a lot more insight into Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekka's history, and Hayley is brought along from TVD as well.  We also eventually get to know the rest of the Mikaelson family - every last one - at some point or another.  Presently the show is nearing the end of its second season, and I'm still completely hooked.  I love where it's being taken so far - it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all, and there are always things changing and evolving.

Revenge
This is one I started after it had already finished its first season.  I had always meant to start it when it first came out, but I got behind and then ended up finding the first season DVD in a Black Friday sale, so I started watching it then.  I've been hooked ever since.  This video will give you a run down of basically the first two or three seasons.  It is nearing the end of its run, from what I've heard (it's at the end of the fourth season now), but I'm weirdly okay with it.  It's started to wind down, and while I've been fine with most of the storyline this season, it's been getting to a place where it's finally okay to end it. It's not been as action-istic as the former seasons, but things that needed to happen (and some of which I've been calling since I first started watching!) are finally happening. Emily/Amanda finally has some closure, and I feel like they're going to do something big in the next couple of episodes to shut the door on this chapter of her life so she can start a new one like she's been trying to do all season - we'll just have to imagine what that new chapter includes for ourselves.


Comments