You Need to Hear Delta Rae - Writing Challenge, Day 4

I used to do music posts a lot - I dedicated one post a week to music.  Not sure if I'll go back to that, but definitely expect there to be some on a fairly regular basis.  I wouldn't do my first new music referral without it being about this band.  They don't get anywhere close to the recognition that they should.  Don't get me wrong; their fan base is strong.  But the only person I've talked to about them around here who knew about them was the person who showed me their music in the first place.

So, I want to just take a minute to introduce you guys to them.

Have you heard of Delta Rae?

Because if you haven't...you're missing out.

Their music is so different than anything on most mainstream radio today, and their style varies so much.  They call their genre southern gothic.  It's almost like having multiple bands in one because they're so versatile... Just take a listen below.  You'll find plenty of examples!





All four singers participate and do the lead or share the lead in different songs. They each have a different style, but they're all good.  I have yet to hear a song that I really don't like.  A couple have had to grow on me, but even those are ones that I love now.





You can find them on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc. if you're looking for downloadable music.  I bought "Bottom of the River" on iTunes because that was the first song I heard and loved how different and amazing it sounded.  I'm holding out to get the other albums on CD - and yes, I know.  I feel old.  But for some albums, I'd just rather have the tangible disc in my hands and have the booklet that comes with it.





Each of the videos I'm including in this post has a different lead singer.  And these are just my favorites.  Definitely go search around their Youtube channel and other people's videos of them live and find the rest.  You won't be disappointed.




If you've stayed with me this long, I'll leave you with this last video....

It's just amazing.  I can't really use that word enough to describe how I feel about this band.  I can listen to "No Peace In Quiet" on repeat and not get tired of it.  It's probably one of my top 5 favorite songs right now.





Oh, and one more thing.  If you listen to Pandora, I highly recommend starting a station with Delta Rae as the influence.  I started one while I was at work one day, and everything they played along with Delta Rae's music was very good.  It all fit right in and was genuinely good music.  I play it on a regular basis now.

There are soo many more videos I could link in here, but this post would never end, so I'll just give you a short list and you can do the rest of your research on your own.  Hopefully you'll enjoy falling down the Delta Rae rabbit hole like I did!

Definitely watch/listen to:
"My Whole Life Long"
"Run"
"Cold Day In Heaven"
"I Will Never Die"
"Fire [Live]"
"Chasing Twisters"
"Bottom of the River" (Live in Nashville)  They're amazing and just as good if not better live.  Plus, this song is just so cool and creepy!
"Bottom of the River" at Bonnaroo   I realize this is the 3rd time this song has appeared in this post, but this performance of it is broken down and performed completely different from the rest, and it's just too good not to warrant its own mention.
"If I Loved You" at Bonnaroo   Same for this song - it's mentioned twice, but this stripped down version is amazing.
"A Long And Happy Life"
"I Moved South"

You've now got a list of all of my absolute favorites.  I hope you've found a new band to enjoy!

Let me know what you think!

P.S. - I'm leaving a few links to Amazon to their albums here.  If you click over from my blog link  to purchase any of them through Amazon, I'll get paid a small commission.

       

See their website with tour dates here.
Follow them on Facebook.
Follow them on Twitter.
Follow them on Instagram.

Comments