Making It Happen

Well, fellow bloggers - and anyone else who feels up to reading my lengthy post - how is everything?

It's been a super busy, productive month so far.  I am currently in the process of moving back to my hometown of Elkins.  My best friend from high school and I might be getting an apartment there together, and I'm being considered for a position as a vet assistant and some other jobs up there at the moment.  *excited squeal*  I don't really know the status of any of those at the moment, but I am both nervous and confident and excited and impatient all at the same time.

I got my license and my own car, finally.  The freedom I'm experiencing at the moment is incredible, and I'm SO glad I finally have it and can go and do what I want, when I want.


Other than the past couple of days when the weather has been crappy, I've been out to see Orion every day, even if it's just to take a couple of horse cookies out to him and love on him for a few minutes.  When there's time and it's not threatening rain or about to get dark, I've been working little by little on getting his hooves trimmed myself.  It's a very slow process because I'm a newbie, made even slower by the fact that his DSLD was flared up for a few days last week, during which I didn't want to make him put any added strain on his legs, so I just fed and Buted him while cleaning him up and brushing him (I could seriously make a mini horse out of all the hair that came off this guy).  The third day, he finally allowed me to mess with his feet more and I got a little done, but I was on a time crunch, so only a bit got done.  Then I had to work over by a few hours a few nights ago when I had planned to go out and do more, so that visit was cut to just a ten minute visit with treats and games in the field (he followed me at a walk and/or trot as I walked and/or jogged, and he got a treat - if he was behaving like a gentleman and not a brat with pinned ears).  He caught on quickly and even threw in a little hop as he was trotting behind me at one point - scared the crap out of me for a second because I thought he was acting up but then realized he was just having fun and that was it.



So I'm getting him back to where he needs to be - albeit slowly.  He's been putting weight back on since the move, and he's doing pretty well with that.  Still not where I want him to be, but it's just a long process.  I'm impatient for him to be back to normal, and I know that's not realistic at this point.  But he is definitely showing improvement.  I'm withholding pictures at the moment, but I will post some here in another week or two.  I've been taking them every few times I go out to track the changes, so I can definitely say for sure that he is looking better and showing steady improvement.  These past couple of days I've been frustrated with the rain and haven't gone out just because I know I can't really do anything in that and could do other productive things in prep for the upcoming move.


Speaking of moves, I've also talked to the B.O. where I used to board Orion in Elkins, and she has told me I can bring him back, so as soon as I find someone to trailer him there, I will be taking him back home.  He'll be there before I am, but I know I will be there soon and will be able to drive up and visit/check on him in the meantime, so it will work out.

Big changes are happening all around, and I'm more excited than I can accurately express right now!

Comments

  1. Aw. I love that area! Glad to hear you'll be going home, and sound excited about it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love hearing your feedback!