What A Difference

Most of my friends who are still in college and the students that I serve at my job every day are in the thick of finals right now.  It's made me think of how my life was two years ago, when I was in my senior year at A-B (yes, there IS a hyphen there, and no there is not a "U" - I was in the last graduating class of A-B College, the year before it became ABU, and I will not under any circumstances write it any other way when talking about my time there as a student!), compared to now, two years out.

Two years ago, I was living in Kincaid on campus, studying my butt off, working, and sleeping.  And usually binge-eating junk food during massive physics, biochem, herpetology, and botany study sessions.  I was usually up to all hours of the night doing this.  I only occasionally went to parties with my then-boyfriend because the rest of the time we were studying together or trying to catch up on sleep because we had basically almost the same class schedule.  I was usually working 28-30-some hours on top of that.  It was stressful but rewarding because at the end of that - I graduated.  Four years of hard work, sweat and tears, challenges and rewards, and lots of learning about life later, I had my B.S. of Biology from A-B College.

The kicker: I had no idea what I wanted to do.

Now, two years later, I'm finally headed on the right path.  I'm pursuing my goals of becoming a vet assistant and plan sometime in the future to go on and take the classes to get the degree to become a vet tech.  I have an apartment now, and I'm planning a big move back to my hometown with my best friend from high school.  I'm single and fine with it.  I don't need the added drama of a relationship, and the only people I would even consider pursuing right now are not available to be pursued, so it's good that I'm content being single!  I finally have my license and my car.  I have freedom.  I work long hours at my main job, then come home and take care of my animals and work on my proofreading jobs that I take through Fiverr.  I'm seriously considering getting a waitressing job for evenings or weekends to make some tips to further supplement my income and make the coming months with all of this upcoming change a little easier.

It's a big difference, and I'm proud of it.  I might not be out there in grad school like some of my classmates and other people I know, but I'm happy with my life now.  I'm more confident, and I have accomplished a lot of the things that I have wanted for years.  I was always eager to get out of school and start living my life, and that's what I'm doing.  Right now, I couldn't be happier. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I love hearing your feedback!