Instant Pot - Writing Challenge, Day 11

I adore my Instant Pot.  It's my favorite kitchen appliance, followed closely by my Crock-Pot.  With the Instant Pot, it's so easy to whip something up, turn it on, and then...wait.  Go do something else around the house.  Wash the dishes you might have just dirtied (if you had to dirty any...when I make chili, the Instant Pot is literally the only "dish" I have to use).  Do some chores.  Water the garden.  Read a book.  Watch TV.  As long as you're near enough to keep an eye/ear out for any issues (of which I've had none so far), you can do literally anything.  It's just like the Crock-Pot in that regard, except the cooking goes faster.

The Instant Pot also has the slow cooker setting, so you can use it like a Crock-Pot if you choose.

I'll post more recipes I've used as time goes on.  It's been a busy couple of days, so I didn't have time to get any together for this post, but I'll do a few and eventually do a compilation linking to them, I think.  You can check out this chili recipe that I posted when I first got the Instant Pot.  It was the first thing I made, and I adapted it from my mom's chili recipe.  For now, I'll just give a few general tips I've come across.



When I first got the Instant Pot, I did read my instructions and did the water test (something explained in the getting started guide that comes with it and that I definitely recommend you do if you haven't used one before.  It basically makes sure it works the way it should and gives you a way to do a test run to make sure you know what you're doing.).

Certain models, however, have different buttons/pre-sets than others.  So sometimes if you're reading a recipe, you  might come across a button you don't have.  I used this guide a few times to familiarize myself with what they meant.  Each pre-set button on mine is set for a certain amount of time.  So you can get the same result by setting it to "Manual" instead of one of the pre-sets and just punch in the time you want.  I do that most often.  This particular guide I linked to has the user manuals for a bunch of different models, as well as what each pre-set means and what time it cooks for, so you can take that and apply it to your model if a recipe mentions a pre-set you don't have.





I will dedicate a post to recipes I have tried myself, but since I don't have that ready yet, I'll leave you with this list of recipes I want to try:

Chicken noodle soup is a traditional favorite of mine.  I love having it on cooler days or when I'm sick, and it's one of the things I miss most from my childhood.  My grandma made the best chicken noodle soup.  Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe for it.  This definitely has different stuff in it than hers did, but it sounds pretty good to me.  I'm always on the lookout for other versions to try to see if I can find something similar to hers though.  If I ever find it, I'll share!

I mean, come on.  It's mac and cheese.  It's a staple in our house, though what we normally make usually comes out of a box.  I've made homemade mac and cheese on the stovetop, and it came out amazing.  I definitely want to try this one in my Instant Pot.

Potato soup is another winter favorite, so I'm planning to try this one when it gets cooler.  Darryl doesn't like soup (other than my chili), so I'll have it all to myself!  That's like a week of lunches and snacks!  Haha.

I constantly find new things, but I'm slower about trying them.  I'll let you know how these and some others go as I experiment with them!


Comments